The official website for the States of Alderney

Weapons, firearms & explosives

On this page you will find information on applying for a licence for the possession of a weapon, also what is required when you import or export a firearm or explosive. 

  •  Weapons and Firearms

    • pdf icon The Dangerous Weapons (Alderney) Ordinance, 1965 [322kb], (Section 2(1)) states that a person shall not purchase, acquire or have in his possession any dangerous weapon or ammunition unless they hold a valid weapons certificate.

    • A dangerous weapon is defined under pdf icon The Dangerous Weapons (Alderney) Law, 1965 [167kb], as:

    • "any weapon of any description designed or adapted for the discharge of any ammunition or for the discharge of any noxious liquid, gas or any other thing, and includes any component part of any such weapon and any accessory to any weapon designed or adapted to diminish the noise or flash caused by firing the weapon" (eg. a silencer).

    • Currently under the 1965 legislation you must apply for a Weapons Certificate if you wish to have in your possession any of the following weapons:

    • • Air Rifles and Air Pistols
      • Bows and Crossbows
      • Sporting Spear-guns
      • Shotguns
      • Pistols (Revolvers etc.)
      • Sporting Rifles etc.

    • For any other weapon or if you are in any doubt as to whether you need a weapons certificate please contact the Chief Executive's Office for advice.

    • To obtain a Weapons Certificate you must submit a completed pdf icon Weapons Certificate Application form, [1Mb], also available in the downloads section of this page or in person from the General Office.

    • Data Protection: This information will be processed in line with the Data Protection (Bailiwick of Guernsey) Law, 2017. Please click on the pdf icon Weapons Certificate Data Processing Notice [127kb] and for full details on how we look after your data.

  • Applying for a Weapons Certificate

    • To obtain Weapons Certificate you must submit a completed Weapons Certificate Application, also available in the downloads section of this page and in person from the General Office.

    • The form must be completed in full with an accurate description of the weapon(s) and ammunition to be purchased or to hold in your possession and submitted with the correct fee payable to either the States General Office or posted to the States of Alderney, PO Box 1001, Alderney GY9 3AA.

      Please note all initial weapons certificate applications are referred to the police.

      Once a Weapons Certificate is obtained it is the responsibility of the certificate holder (and a condition on the certificate required under the above Ordinance) to keep the weapons and any permitted ammunition in a secure cabinet.

      Any sale, transfer, destruction or loss of a dangerous weapon must be reported in the first instance to the Chief Executive of the States (01481 820010).

    • Please be advised that the sale or transfer of a dangerous weapon to any other person is an offence unless that person has a Weapons Certificate authorising them to purchase or acquire it.

  • Fees and Payment

    • First weapon £45.00 (on every renewal)

    • Additional weapon £15.00 each

    • Payment can be made in cash, cheque (payable to the 'States of Alderney'), by debit or credit card. We do not take American Express.

  • Importing or Exporting a Dangerous Weapon or Ammunition

    • If a dangerous weapon or ammunition is to be brought into or exported off  Island then an Import or Export licence is required.

    • To obtain a licence you must contact the Guernsey Border Agency.

  • Explosives and Fireworks

    • The term "explosive" covers any energetic material such as gunpowder, nitro-glycerine, guncotton, picric acid, dynamite, blasting gelatine, gelignite. Explosives are not only used commercially for blasting, but they are found in many everyday items from party poppers to airbag initiators, fireworks and flares.

    • Explosive fireworks can only be imported with an import licence issued by the Chief Executive's Office unless they are in a class which is exempt from the full requirements of the law (such as party poppers). A display permit will be issued with terms and conditions regarding the display which must be adhered to under any circumstances.

    • For further guidance contact the Chief Executive's Office.